Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It's All Luck

You're probably all sick to death of pictures of gardens, flowers, and herbs, etc. But this I just had to record for posterity.

See, years ago--five? four? six? I can't remember--sister gave me a tree peony. I have lots of regular peonies growing in my yard, and I have a greenish thumb (like the color of an old bruise...), which leads me to think that I can grow things that I've seen in books and magazines. Exotic things like blue poppies--um, they don't work so well out of their natural environment; or even mundane things like mini roses--and every time I've bought them the buds have fallen off within a few days. I just don't have luck with plants that have a certain je ne sais quoi. Or that I covet beyond all reason or growing zone.

But several years ago I learned about tree peonies. Their tiny branches bend at right angles, giving them a sinuousness at odds with the gnarly texture of their trunks. Their blooms are giant--6 inches or so across--and the smell on some varieties can be an invisible wave that you all but ride on from several feet away. They are, in form and color, just so ... Japanese to me.

So, however many years ago, sister gave me one. They take a LONG time to bloom and can be rather spendy if blooming size, so the one she gave me was a tiny stick in a box! The first year, a few little leaves grew from the stick only to be eaten by a bunny. For the past few years, it's gotten bigger and leafier ... but no sign of a bud. Until now. It finally, finally bloomed. And I go outside to look at it about sixty-seven times a day.

10 comments:

Susan and Tracy aka Muriel and Mavis said...

ahhhhhhh, gorgeous!!

We are SO behind you, my peonies are just shooting up.

Christina said...

Lovely indeed! I have two peony plants. One seems to always flower and the other one is hit and miss. I will have to share a pic when it blooms. The buds have just arrived. Can't wait, it is my fav.

twiddlestix said...

That is just beautiful! I love peony's. Mine are jsut like Opheeelia's...just shooting up out of the ground! So glad you shared your photos, and I, for one, am not sick of your pictures! Keep 'em coming!

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Congratulations---it's gorgeous!!
Smiles, Karen

Susan and Tracy aka Muriel and Mavis said...

More pics? Puleeze?

Keep 'em coming!

Karin said...

That's EXACTLY how I feel abut my gardenias....they are very snobby and rarely bloom for me. Last season...nothing. I don't know what I did this year but all of a sudden blooms....I also go out there just to look and smell them. :) Karin@creativechaos

Babs said...

Oh, it is so beautiful! Peonies are my absolute favorite flower. I was so excited when we moved to Oregon from Arizona and discovered I have 2 peonies in my yard. If they bloom this year I'm posting photos too :-)

Tracy said...

This is why I absolutely adore spring!! Also, I like the little exchange program you have going on.. buy a new junk to treasure, get rid of an old.. let me know how it goes! My husband is in the same boat as yours!!

julie king said...

oh my, that is just gorgeous! obviously proves the point that all great things are worth waiting for! thanks for the comment on my blog! my art show is up all week. hope you can check it out!

Anonymous said...

My very favorite~ I never understood the mystic of peonies~ my Mother wanted peonies on the farm so badly~ but as kids we mowed right over the peony bushes and she never had one bloomin' peony! Then at my wedding 26 years ago, my Mothe-in-law walked right in with arm loads of peonies~ we scampered for vase and found enough to add peonies everywhere at the back of the church~ as I headed down that long ailse to my Husband-in-waiting~ Icould smell the intoxicating fragrance of those peonies. Whe we bought our first (and only) home~ I bought peonies on the bargin table a tthe the pop-up greenhouse~ put them in the ground and forgot about them til the next spring! We are late bloomers in SD ~ so my 5 gorgeous peony bushes pay me back for loving them by blooming every year on our anniversary ~ June 12. Thanks for letting me share~ I didn't mean to take up all theis space :-)